Sunday, April 8, 2012

Saturday night

This is going to be another short one, just because I'm not entirely sure what all we did, and I keep thinking maybe no one reads the long ones anyway, so I'll be brief.

We got up, had breakfast (I'm learning to like tea to try and get rid of this cold, Maggie should be so proud) and headed to the Eiffel tower, which was so busy we didn't actually go down to it, but saw from a platform. Then we went to Walk to Trocadero, the Arch of Triumph, and Champs Elysees. We spent a little time at Jardin des Tuileries, but it was cold so we skipped having lunch there.

We broke for lunch, and I had the most delicious omelette ever. The person beside us had this huge margarita glass with an inner cup filled with champagne, all with flower petals floating around it and a fire cracker sticking out of the top. It was very exciting, and I wish I had taken a picture, but now that I'm thinking about it maybe I'll just go get one. Meghan and I seem to be having one romantic moment after another on his trip, and rose petal firework drink sounds like another we could handle.

I bought myself a dumb touristy hoodie because it was cold and I need more warn clothes. Now I can't decide if I will just give it to someone or keep it, but I think i might just keep buying what I need and then pass it on when I get home. All I have is my ASIg hoodies which is great, but dark blue and matches nothing. Anyway, buying the hoodie ended up being a waste because we just went back to the hotl anyway. Originally we were supposed to be going on a boat down the Seine, but we can do it another day.

I came back to the hotel and just collapsed. I felt sick, I missed home, and I was just frustrated and tired and grouchy. I called Doug and pouted, and while I was doing that he was talking to mike ullinger, one of our brothers studying here, and telling him how to find me. I walk down in the lobby a little bit later to get something and he surprised me by being there! I cried a little, but it was a happy cry. It was so nice to see someone from home.

We went back to his apartment which was about 20 minutes away, and just relaxed a little. It was exactly what i needed; a house, where people actually lived and felt like a real home rather than a hotel; someone who understood the value of wifi to find home; and finally, the ease of getting a glass of water without having to pay for it or refill another pop bottle with water from the bathroom sink. Hanging out with him was definitely a nice boost of energy for the next 3 weeks.

Then I ventured back to the hotel (all by myself! I'm finally getting the hang of public transportation) and went to bed at like 11. I ended up getting about 9 hours of sleep, which is exactly what i needed to get a fresh start in Paris the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment