Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Monday in London

Monday

I am in London, and quite possibly never coming home. But seriously, I love it here and can't wait to figure out how I'm going to pay for a summer semester of classes.

We got here via tube, under the English channel. Not much to report there; it just felt like any other train ride, which just makes me sleepy. When we got here we found our hotel which is tinnnnyyyy, but only enough that climbing up two flights of stairs with luggage was a serious challenge. It's kind of jank and falling apart, but it has character, and will give us some for staying here.

We went on our walking tour of London, and stopped in Green Park to sit in the grass and just talk about our experience. It was nice to just sit back with everyone, and talk about our different worries and what we expect when we come home.

Then we walked through Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, The Strand, Whitehall down to Westminster Abbey. There is just so Much here! Shops and restaurants and performers and anything else you could ever hope for. Live shows I would love to see, if I could afford it (Chicago being one) and huge monuments...this is the place I will not have enough time for. Hopefully going to 21 Baker St and Fleet St while I'm here, too.

We found a store that was full of amazing things I wanted... There was a yellow submarine tea diffuser, which Maggie totally needs but I couldn't afford, and the funkiest painted toasters. Ellie Golding was on the radio, which just made it all perfect. I love you, England.

Alex, Dominique, kristen, Kaitlin and I went to a pub for dinner, where I got this really good
Pear and apple cider and a sandwhich. Then we found this comedy club in this tiny hole in the wall that was free, and had cheap drinks. It was really fun, and deffinitely not touristy, which was cool. They cracked some American jokes but most of them rang true, and there was an abundance of British humor, which is not for everyone but we all liked.

Then we came back to the hotel, satisfied with our day and ready to pass out on the cardboard mattress. I slept so well though, I was too tired to even care,which is the whole point of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment