Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Final Italian thoughts


Ok, instead of making an organized easy to read post, I'm just bullet pointing things I've noticed in Italy worth mentioning.

1. Dogs are treated so well here. They roam around everywhere; it seems everyone walks a lot more, so it makes sense that dogs would too. However, the country has accommodated this to the next level; pretty much any store is dog friendly, and restaurants will even bring your dog a water dish while you have your meal (usually just for outside patios). They're in the trains, and busses,and tied to little doggie posts (like bike racks) outside of the rare stores that don't allow dogs inside.

2. Driving is crazy. Not only are there not really any specific rules regarding lanes, as far as we can tell, but it seems totally ok to park people in and even bring your Vespa up on the sidewalk when there's no room anywhere else. I'm not even totally sure about speed limits, at least not for the previously mentioned. The cars that are around are usually very small and Eco friendly, but I was also surprised to see a few Fords mixed in with all the other italian cars.

3. Reverence is a learned behavior. I was lucky to be raised in church all my life, and to serve as an acolyte. I know how to show respect and act accordingly. Not just crossing myself, or bowing at an altar, but the general habit of keeping yourself mindful of where you are. It's easy to get caught up in the tourism, but even when it's not my religion, I still know how to be reverent. This isn't really discussing Italy, but they really do try to keep their churches sacred and some people are just completely unaware that their behavior isn't cutting it. But you still have to dress appropriately and stay silent, so they keep what control they can, but some people really miss the point, and it's usually groups of Americans.

4. Learning to enjoy pleasure. Specifically food, but it's all inclusive. I thought it would be less pronounced, and that it was a part of the culture that was romanticized, but it's completely true. When you go out to dinner, you are t just eating; you're tasting. When you sit and sip wine with friends, you aren't just hanging out; you're in discussion, and creating real connections. Envy thing is taken slower, and that helps you to stop and smell the roses- only in this case, it felt like they sat me down, handed me the rose, and told me to spend 15 minutes smelling it. And after that, just keep on smelling if I enjoy it, because there's no reason to stop. Taking 3 hours to eat is completely normal, and I love it. It may be one of the biggest things I miss when it's time to go home.

5. Kind of with number 4... Ordering food at a restaurant is like a box of chocolates. You can usually be pretty sure you'll like whatever you end up with, but you never really know what's going to end in your mouth by the end of the night. You learn a few key words and decide if you want to be adventurous or stick to pomodora. The best meals I've had we're the ones where I told my waiter to pick for me.

So that's the end of Italy! Now I'm on the train to Munich, about to start the blog for Monday's adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment