Monday, March 19, 2012

Night in venice

We wanted to find some shops that we had seen, so we rode the water taxi down the grand canal only to find that everything was basically closed. We wandered around and found ourselves lost in back alleys, which just feels creepy no matter how safe people tell you it is. We ended up in residential areas, and were starting to get nervous until we finally found another stop and got back to civilization. It was really impressive though; we turned the corner and this huge church was just right there. We dont know the name, but it was one of those moments where you just forget to breathe. I think I have pictures from the water taxi.

We ended up making friends with a family from Maryland who needed some extra help, so we chatted about what we were doing. Because it was st pattys day and we were hungry, we ended up at an Irish pub. It was way too crowded for tired little me though, so I left the group and wandered a little on the main street by myself, and found some pizza.

I think there is this profound fear of being alone, which makes sense since its only the third day. It makes for really incompatible grumpy college kids though, because everyone wants to get all their experiences that THEY want in, but not by themselves. So when your best friend doesn't want to go with you, it feels like she is impeding your exploring and keeping you from everything you want to get out of this trip. I'm hoping it won't take long for everyone to realize they can do what they want alone, and to take more responsibility for their own experience. Everyone's SHOULD be different, or at least thats how I feel.

We have our own little terrace to our room (it's so Italian, back to the things I was expecting) with a lattice garden and a little table. Our roommates and some other girls came down and we listened to music and chatted about what we saw. It was nice to wind down, and I even had bought my own mini bottle of Bellini to try. It was really sweet, and you couldn't really taste anything but fruit so I liked it. then we went to bed and passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment