Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Uffizi" makes auto correct unhappy


Today we started at he borgello museum, since we weren't able to go the day before. We saw Donatello's David, which is my favorite of all the Davids (except for David Greene, of course). We also have a fancy "friends of the uffizi" pass, so we don't have to wait in any lines.

Security here is weird. You have to go through a metal detector,but if it goes off no one really cares and you just keep going. Your stuff goes through the X-ray machine like at the airport, but even if the little red bulb goes on, they still don't stop you. Doug gave me this little Swiss army knife set that has been really useful, but I forgot I had taken it out of the room the night before, and it was still in my purse. No one stopped me,and I just waltzed right in. Granted, I wasn't going to be doing much damage with it, but still.

We went to the uffizi gallery next, which had a lot of the stuff we had studied. Megan enjoys herself and tells me all about the paintings I forgot we had learned; but when we get to London, I'm going to be the pro at Shakespeare. I'm pretty excited, even if it makes me a big nerd. There are 6 English majors and around 10 art history people, so we're a bit out numbered.

We had 4 hours of free time before going to the Piazzale Michelangelo, so I perused the clothing stores. I really want to get a cute blazer before we go home, but I also realize I could save my money and buy 5 european cute outfits at home, or 2 pieces of European clothing here. Plus, it was so hot today that it's just no fun shopping for jackets. I did get a nice leather journal though; it's tiny enough to fit in my purse, just so I can jot things down to remember to put them back in here.

When we finally reconvened, we walked up this super large steep hill to the Piazzale Michelangelo, which gives a great view of Florence. I might go back another day to see the sun set, if my feet will allow it. Seriously, this should be offered with hpe credits as well, but Marc and Ted said they tried and it was shut down, because there isn't enough structure. Either way, I'm going to get way more fit than I would in "art of relaxation" class. The other nice thing about being up there was that we finally got rid of the pigeons, which I now know are a universal problem. I just see puppy loving pigeons, but Megan is terrified of birds, and one brushed my face today (like, literally pushed my bangs with its wings during takeoff) so I was ready to get some time away as well.

Now I'm back at the hostel, after a nice peanut butter and jelly sandwhich :) I wish the milk here were satisfying, but it's more like drinking straight cream. Blah. Maybe I can find some and just water it down, but for now I'm sticking to orange juice and water. Everyone else is sipping wine- Ted asked us to be classy and stop drinking wine straight from the bottle in the lounge, so his wife bought us all orange plastic cups. They are too cute. Now the cups are hot commodities, but I've just got a juice box. I've always been the cool kid.

1 comment:

  1. That's really funny about the security. At least you knew that you had a weapon to defend yourself from the rest of the people who brought in crazy things like that XP

    ReplyDelete