Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 1 (of 2)

Our flight was delayed about an hour out of Cleveland, which left a little less time sitting around in Newark., but the flight was pretty short, and we still had lots of time to get through customs (first number one!) and find me a nice cheeseburger.

Sitting in the Newark airport was tough. I was gone, but still here...walking through the Tarmac onto the plane was a scary commitment I made a year ago. I called home first and cried a little bit, but I am the queen of missing people.

I got a nice aisle seat on the long flight, where i was able to sleep for a few hours. Hopefully that makes today a little easier. Our seats have Tv's and all the fancy hookups, including the channel that shows where the plane is en route, and how high we are/fast were going. It also gives the eta, so I can tell you right now we are 41 minutes away from touching down. It's 5:13 at home, and 10:13 local time, so I'll wait until after my flight from Munich to Italy to call and let mom and Doug know I'm alive and well.

........

So, we missed out flight to Venice, which means some of the girls are going o a flight that leaves at 3, but since we didn't all fit the rest of us are in another one that goes to Frankfurt and then to Venice, so things are a little hodge pose right now. We did get a 10 E voucher for food, so even though it was scary, I bought my first foreign meal. The man at the counter didn't speak perfect English, but he did manage to help me pick out food for the leftover cash I had after I got what I wanted (you didn't get any change back, so he made sure I spent as much as I could. It was very sweet, and encouraging.)

Then I shopped around a bit with my newly exchanged euros, which felt pretty good. Now I'm waiting for my flight, while I do some journaling/blogging/emailing without the wifi, so whenever that day comes I will be able to upload everything at once. it's so frustrating to be half connected, but there are just going to be a lot of adjustments I'll need to make. For now, I'm finally going to enjoy the long awaited John Green

1 comment:

  1. Welcome! Glad to hear you got here safe and sound. We're on the same time zone, so email/Skype/Facebook if you need any help. I think you'll find that most people will try to help you out as much as they can, even if they don't speak great English. You'll do great, and I'll see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete