Saturday, March 17, 2012

End of travel day 1

End of day 1

So after finally getting on the flight to Venice, I was put between these two men who were speaking Italian, completely aware I wasn't understanding and going so far as to push around me to speak to each other. Awkward. We did, however, get complementary milka bars, which is quite possibly the most delicious chocolate I have ever consumed, and I fully intend on bringing a case of it home with me.

We had to wait at the Venice airport for the other bunch of travel companions, which took about an extra 40 minutes. A bus picked us up, which took us to a surprisingly normal looking Venice. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but definitely not palm trees and stop signs. We did finally get to the marshy lagoon area, and it started looking more...Italian-y?

We got dropped off a few blocks away from the hotel, and I was ready to prove how independent and strong I could be so I showed those cobble stone streets who was boss. Then we reached this huge bridge that went over a canal...made entirely of stairs. I was intimidated but determined, when a nice Italian man came over and helped me by picking up half my luggage so it wasn't dragging. At first I thought he wanted money, or he was just going to take my bag and run, but nope. Just a friendly man helping a wandering tourist.

Our hotel is small, but nice. We fit four cots in our room, but not much more, and our bathroom takes some maneuvering, but it's clean. We also have a doorway to the most adorable little terrace; I'll try to post pictures sometime. It's completely out of place, but on e you get out there it's the Venice-y feeling I was looking for.

Then we took a boat taxi around the city and through all the canals. This has to be the most beautiful city. I'm constantly in awe that this is real life, and that I'm really here. I love this atmosphere, the culture, the scenery... Everything. Where else do you see couples gazing into each others eyes, sipping wine on the side of the dock... I totally understand the Romanticism of Italy. I'm sure there's much more to see, but I've already decided this is my favorite city.

We toured on foot for a while, until our professors got us sufficiently deep enough into the city and explained that we could watch the signs and find our way out. It was our first task in being alone. I managed to get money from an ATM, find a restaurant, order dinner, and find my way back to the hotel and then explain to the concierge that I wanted to buy a hour of wifi. I was feeling like a champ. Maybe I like this traveling thing.

I had a chance to send a few emails, call mom and dad, say hi to Doug, and check the weather before heading back to the room. I conquered the tiny shower, made friends with the roommates (one of them is my sister, so that doesn't count) and got ready for another day of traveling. Now I just need to convince my body that it's 1am instead of 8pm...

No comments:

Post a Comment